A Lazy Girl's Guide to Skincare

30 March 2018
I have a confession. When it comes to skincare, I am lazy.

While others are really into skincare it's always been a bit of a chore to me. I put my makeup on in the morning, go about my day as normal but by bedtime I really just can't be bothered anymore. Cleansing, toning, exfoliating. It's all just too much after a long day, so my skincare routine needs to be quick, simple and easy. 

In a situation like this many would turn to makeup wipes, as I have done in the past. But while makeup wipes are quick and easy, you end up paying the price when your skin looks like sh*t. It actually wasn't until I stopped using makeup wipes that I realised the tole they were taking on my skin and that perhaps, there were more ways in which I could improve my skin by changing up my routine.

For a bit of context, I have problematic combination skin. Having suffered with acne since becoming a teenager, I have tried almost every spot product out on the market (as well as prescribed treatments like Roacutane) and come to the conclusion that I will always have spots. That being said the routine I'm about to share with you is the best combination of products I have found (so far) to reduce the appearance of my acne.

lazy, affordable, skincare, routine, girl, blogger, skin, beauty, acne, combination, type, cheap, liz earle, cleanser, the ordinary, aldi

Step 1 
Step 1 is always the longest step but crucially the most important; makeup removal. Where as in the past I would use makeup wipes (shameful I know) I now use a hot cloth cleanser. My favourite hot cloth cleanser has to be Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish but at £15 a tube it's not cheap! Recently Aldi released their own hot cloth cleanser to rival Liz Earle's and for £3.99 (for double the amount of product) I thought it was worth a try! The Lacura Hot Cloth Cleanser comes with 200ml of product and 1 muslin cloth and claims to be suitable for all skin types. While I cannot say how it performs on other skin types, it works really well for me! It removes my makeup with ease (just as well as Cleanse and Polish), has a slight soft scent and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. I simply just rinse my face with some warm water, massage the cleanser into my skin and then wipe it off with the warm, damp muslin cloth - easy.

Step 2
The next step is very quick and easy, as I just spritz my face with the Glo Skin Beauty Balancing Mist*. Designed to balance the oily and dry areas of combination skin, the Balancing Mist also works hard to optimise the effectiveness of your skincare routine by preparing your skin to evenly absorb the products applied after. It leaves my skin feeling fresh and I honestly notice a difference in the appearance of my skin the next morning when I use this product as part of my routine.

Step 3
Next I will use The Ordinary's Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. This is the only product in my routine targeted toward 'acne prone' skin and I don't use this every night. Instead I will use it when my skin is really bad or if I want my skin to look really great the next day. All I'll say is that it's affordable and works (if used sparingly), but if you want more information on this product read my in-depth review.

Step 4
While this is the last step in my routine, I must admit that I don't always moisturise in the evenings. After being on Roacutane I learn that moisturising my skin too much can cause my breakouts, so unless my skin is feeling really dry I will only apply moisturiser to my face before I apply my makeup in the morning. I like to use Oilatum as it's fragrance free and is the best thing I've found for getting rid of dry skin. I am quite prone to getting eczema on my hands and occasionally on my face as well as dry patches around my nose, so Oilatum is a lifesaver when my eczema is playing up. It's also affordable and you get a lot of product for your money, so I don't mind using it for other dry patches or eczema on my body. 

Sometimes I will do all of these 4 steps other times I will just do one or two. It really depends on how much time I have and how I want my skin to look and feel. This routine is also affordable which is a must for me. I hate having to spend money on skincare as I don't find it fun in the some way I like spending money on makeup. It's also quick, which when your are pressed for time or get really tired in the evenings (like myself) is important.


What are your favourite skincare products? I'd love to hear your recommendations 

Eleanor xx
Post Comment
Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments so please feel free to comment or give me feedback! I don't mind if you leave a link to your own blog as I love finding new blogs and if I like your blog I'll follow you!